Justice Alito Warns Seminarians of Threats to Religious Liberty, Free Speech

May 18, 2017

by Maggie Gallagher

Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito, a south Jersey native and “something of a Philly boy” according to local news, spoke at the graduation of St. Charles Borromeo Seminary in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia.

Reporters were not allowed to record the event. But one local news outlet reports he gave a strong warning about diminishing respect for religion here in the United States, and issued a call to stand with Christian martyrs abroad:

“For most of my life, American people have been united in their strong respect for religious liberty. But recently, things have started to change,” Alito said.

He added: “The idea that speech can be banned if it expresses an idea that is offensive is spreading around the country.”

He also quoted his own dissent from Obergefell to the 75 or so grads: “I assume that those who cling to old beliefs will be able to whisper their thoughts in the recesses of their homes, but if they repeat those views in public, they will risk being labeled as bigots and treated as such by governments, employers, and schools.”

But we also should recognize what real persecution looks like. Justice Alito, speaking as a Roman Catholic, pointed to a study suggesting 90,000 Christians worldwide were killed for their faith last year:

“There are more martyrs today than ever,” Alito said. “We in the United States need to pay more attention to what is happening to our sisters and brothers in other parts of the world.”

These are sobering words for the next generation of American priests from a brother in Christ and prominent legal luminary.

Photo credit: Italy in US via Flickr, CC BY-ND 2.0

Maggie Gallagher is a senior fellow at the American Principles Project.

Archive: Maggie Gallagher

17 comments on “Justice Alito Warns Seminarians of Threats to Religious Liberty, Free Speech”

• jk105 says:

Thanks Susie Old Gal–you absolutely cannot find a single word where Jesus speaks about homosexuality!

If you are talking about the Old Testament “god”, you are talking about the same force that sanctions slavery. Not talk about abomination! You sanction slavery!

Now the Jesus who blessed my same-sex marriage commands us to love your neighbor. Susie Old Gal, it is contemptible that you would use the brute force of government to deny me a legal right you take for granted. I do not say this to be hateful towards bigots like yourself Susie, in any way, shape or form! It is Jesus’s Holy Word that informs and forms me. You are an abomination.

• Steven Augustine says:

Did Jesus address bestiality? Or was it the default assumption that zoophilia is an abomination?

• Jk105 says:

Equating homosexuality with bestiality says a lot about your filthy mind. Abomination indeed. I suggest you get help.

But at least you admit Jesus said nothing about homosexuality. The other liars on this post board claim he did but have yet to offer a direct quote.

• nino says:

Animals can’t give legal consent. Bestiality therefore is rape. Besides his anti-gay bigotry, Steven Augustine has some serious mental and moral problems.

• Mark Redman says:

Jk

Read Romans Chapter One.

• Mark Redman says:

Jk,

Read Romans Chapter One.

• Susan says:

On Memorial Day we remember our fallen countrymen. But what about our martyred Christian brethren? What about those slaughtered in their mothers’ wombs? In my small opinion, the Church needs to institute a Worldwide Memorial Day for the innocent victims mentioned above… an international day of grieving and remembrance, if you will.

• Randy B. says:

The manner in which some of you individuals use the word “hate” proves that you don’t even know the meaning of the word. Please learn it before you claim Justice Alito “spits his hate.”

• Mark Redman says:

Jk,
    I guess Jesus would be labeled a “hater” in today’s world.
    That’s progress ?

• jk105 says:

Actually Jesus said absolutely nothing about homosexuality. Nothing. Why would I call Him a hater? In fact, I am same-sex married in my Christian Church. Jesus would consider anti-gay bigots to be the haters. That’s progress!

• Susan says:

It is God Who declared marriage to be the union of a man and a woman. A male and a female. Same-sex “marriage” does not appear in Holy Scripture because the sexual union of a man with a man is an abomination in God’s Eyes. That is God’s Judgment… not my own. And, as you know, Jesus IS God. I do not say this to be hateful toward homosexuals in any way, shape or form! It is God’s Holy Word that informs and forms me.

• jk105 says:

• Jk105 says:

A Lito is correct. Those who belch anti gay bigotry will be branded bigots. He he the free speech to spit his hate and we have the free speech to call it hate.