President Trump has announced plans to reduce U.S.-South Korea military exercises, citing South Korea’s refusal to assist the U.S. in Iran and resistance to helping fund the cost of its defense by U.S. forces, while emphasizing his improved relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
| PULSE POINTS |
❓ WHAT HAPPENED: President Donald J. Trump announced on Sunday that he ordered the Pentagon to substantially reduce upcoming joint military exercises with South Korea, citing its refusal to assist the U.S. with Iran and the cost of the exercises, alongside South Korea’s resistance to covering more of the cost of the U.S. deploying forces to the country. The President also expressed concerns that the exercises might send an “inappropriate and hostile” signal to North Korea, emphasizing his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and saying Pyongyang had been “unthreatening and respectful” toward his administration. 📺 DETAIL: The President criticized South Korea for declining a U.S. request to assist the U.S. with Iran. “When I called recently, the President of South Korea… I said, ‘Would you like to give us a little hand? We don’t need help with Iran, but if you’d like, give us a hand with Iran.’ He said, ‘No, thanks.'” Trump stressed the fact that the U.S. has approximately 39,000 soldiers stationed in South Korea to protect the country from North Korea, emphasizing the lack of reciprocity from many of America’s allies. “Based on my very good relationship with Kim Jong Un of North Korea, I am not happy with the fact that the United States has, long ago, agreed to participate in Joint Military Exercises with South Korea,” said the President. South Korea’s Defense Ministry has since confirmed that the exercises will proceed as planned despite the President’s remarks. North Korea had sharply condemned the exercises, accusing Washington and Seoul of using them as a rehearsal for an “aggressive war” and warning that the drills appeared more offensive than those conducted in recent years. 💬 KEY QUOTE: “We can’t go around and protect all of these countries, especially when they’re not there to help us.” – President Trump 🎯 IMPACT: President Trump’s decision could signal an effort to revive direct diplomacy with Kim, although it remains unclear whether it is primarily aimed at Pyongyang, Seoul, or broader regional concerns. The move also comes as North Korea continues to expand and modernize its nuclear and military capabilities, potentially creating pressure for Washington to pursue renewed engagement with Kim. 📺 FLASHBACK: During his first term, the President made history by meeting directly with Kim on the North Korean side of the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ). |
Trump: South Korea has been protected by us for many, many years. When I called recently, the president of South Korea and I said, “Would you like to give us a little hand?” We don’t need help with Iran, but if you’d like, give us a hand with Iran. He said, “No, thanks.” And I… pic.twitter.com/JxHvc1CqPp
— Acyn (@Acyn) August 17, 2026
Join Pulse+ to comment below, and receive exclusive e-mail analyses.